Red Flag for Mother Earth’s Health!
Abnormal Temperature Rise
The red flag is raised for the health of Mother Earth these days. Mother Earth, who was afraid of the constant increase in temperature, went to the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) and requested a diagnosis and prescription.
● Mother Earth: My temperature is constantly increasing. I’m so afraid that heatwaves, wildfires, droughts, and floods are occurring all over the place due to the rise in temperature. Every day I am afraid of what will happen tomorrow and it is even hard to breathe. Why is this happening to me?
● IPCC: Currently, Mother Earth’s temperature has risen by about 1℃ compared to the pre-industrial era. If this continues, your life will be in danger. Let’s take a closer look.
The main factor of temperature rise, ‘Carbon’
● Mother Earth: Actually, since industrialization, I have lived a prosperous and convenient life that I have never experienced before. Those were very pleasant days. Was poison hiding in those great times?
● IPCC: Now, let me explain by drawing a graph.
The increase in Mother Earth’s temperature is due to accumulated greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide.
A huge amount of carbon dioxide has been emitted since the Industrial Revolution began in the 1800s. From the early 1800s, for about 100 years, carbon dioxide was generated by coal, and for about 100 years from the early 1900s, it was generated from petroleum.
The amount of carbon dioxide emitted so far has reached 45,873,850,000t(The World Bank, 2018). Such poison was gradually accumulating in Mother Earth’s body.
The current Earth’s surface temperature has been measured to have increased about 1.09℃ compared to 1850~1900. This is a very, very serious situation.
Direct link to IPCC 2021 ‘6th Assessment Report’ Summary:
IPCC published the ‘IPCC 6th Assessment Report’ on August 9, 2021. The report emphasizes that it is clear that climate change caused by global warming is caused by ‘human influence’.
The graph shows the trend of global surface temperature change (black line) over the past 170 years by dividing it into ‘human activity + nature (brown line)’ and ‘nature (green line)’.
The solid green line shows the change in surface temperature assuming only natural factors were present such as the sun and volcanoes, and the solid brown line shows the actual observed average annual surface temperature. Isn’t the solid brown line much steeper? You can notice that the increase in surface temperature was much greater when human influences were added.
What stands out in the report is the unprecedented increase in greenhouse gas concentrations and cumulative carbon dioxide emissions. As of 2019, carbon dioxide was measured at 410 ppm, methane at 1866 ppb, and nitrous oxide at 332 ppb, but before the industrial revolution, the Earth’s carbon dioxide concentration was 280 ppm. In Particular, the concentration of carbon dioxide was at an unprecedented level in the past 2 million years.
Dark Future of Mother Earth
1.5~2℃ Rise in 2050
● Mother Earth: How long can I live? I want to go back to life as soon as possible. I want to get back to normal life as soon as possible, free from heatwaves, wildfires, droughts, and floods.
● IPCC: If we continue to live like this, the temperature will rise by 1.5℃ by 2050 compared to the pre-industrial era. The symptoms will appear much more often and more seriously than they are now. If it rises to 2 degrees celsius, the health of Mother Earth will be irreversible, and if it rises to 6℃, Mother Earth cannot continue its life.
If the global temperature rises by 1.5℃ compared to the pre-industrial era, the ecosystem and human society are at a very high irreversible risk. Therefore, 1.5~2℃ is called the climate defense line, and the IPCC predicts the time when the global temperature will reach this climate defense line will be 2050.
Extreme cut on carbon
● Mother Earth: How much should I lose carbon to be alive?
● IPCC: Let me talk straight. We have to achieve zero carbon emissions by 2050. First of all, we have to reduce carbon dioxide emission by at least 45% compared to 2010 by 2030 and achieve carbon neutrality net-net carbon emission of ‘0’ by 2050. It requires great determination.
Direct link to Global Warming of 1.5℃ Special Report (2018):
In conclusion, IPCC’s 1.5℃ ‘Special Report’ states that all countries must achieve Net-Zero by 2050 in order to limit the increase in global average temperature to 1.5℃ or less compared to the pre-industrial era.
● Carbon Neutral: It refers to the activities that reduce the net emission of carbon dioxide to zero among the 6 greenhouse gases. In other words, carbon neutrality is achieved when the ‘emission’ of carbon dioxide equals the ‘absorption of carbon dioxide by human activities.
● Net-zero: It refers to the activities that make the net emission of all 6 greenhouse gases to zero. Therefore, net-zero is a more difficult thing to achieve than carbon neutrality, and it is also called ‘Climate Neutral’.
Main Point of 2050 Net Zero
● Mother Earth: We have been using fossil fuel for 200 years, but could we achieve net-zero by 2050?
● IPCC: No matter what type of weight loss you are in, you are aware that ultimately you have to change your eating habit, right? Reducing greenhouse gases, especially carbon, requires a major transition in consuming energy. Let’s cut down on the use of fossil fuels and change our diet to green energy(solar, wind, hydro).
Major Transition to Green Energy
The World Resources Institute (WRI) has suggested 10 solutions to achieve Net-Zero. These include reducing coal power step by step, investment in clean energy and energy efficiency improvement, renovating buildings, decarbonizing materials, transformation into eco-friendly vehicles, increase in the use of public transportation, decarbonization of airplanes and ships, forest restoration, reduction in food waste and garbage, and a reduction in meat consumption and increase in consuming vegetables.
Direct link to World Resources Institute’s (WRI) solution to achieve Net-Zero:
Especially, the existing internal combustion engine that emitted a large number of greenhouse gases is expected to be replaced with eco-friendly vehicles such as electric·hybrid·pollution-free vehicles in the near future.
Europe, the world’s largest electric vehicle market, announced a proposal for carbon emission reduction in July 2021, including the introduction of a ‘Carbon Border Tax’ and a ‘ban on sales of internal combustion engine vehicles. Under the goal of reducing net greenhouse gas emission by 55% compared to 1990 by 2030, sales of new vehicles with gasoline·diesel engines will be banned in Europe from 2035. China is aiming to convert all vehicles across China to electric by 2023, including hybrids.
The United States has announced plans to produce half of all new cars sold in the U.S. eco-friendly by 2030.
1.5℃ Rise Could Happen in 2040
Carbon Cut is Necessary
Currently, global temperatures are rising much faster than predicted. According to ‘IPCC’s 6th Assessment Report(2021)’, it warns that if the current level of greenhouse gas emission is maintained, the global temperature is highly likely to increase by 1.5 degrees in 2021~40, which is within 20 years.
Therefore, we are in an urgent situation that we may have to push carbon neutrality forward to 2040. Countries and companies should accelerate their efforts to reduce carbon emissions. It is also time for us to start a carbon cut by setting a daily carbon reduction goal for the health of the planet. Every big change starts with a small movement!
Carbon cut day 1 from today!
Here are 5 methods to cut carbon that anyone can easily practice.
1. No Meat Monday: When you go vegan for one day a week, it has the same effect as planting 15 pine trees that are 30 years old per person!
2. Unnecessary stuff out of the trunk: 2.3kg per 1 liter of gasoline can be reduced
3. Use Personal Water Bottle: Can reduce about 10kg per person per year (2 paper cups per day X 1 year = 8kg of carbon)
4. Use second hand: 33kg reduction per pair of jeans
5. Receive receipts digitally: 3g reduction per sheet